List of Speakers

Raghunath Medge

President, Mumbai Dabbawala Association


"People study management books and then practice. We practiced first and have now become a subject of case studies," said Raghunath Medge, president of renowned Nutan Mumbai Tiffin Box Suppliers Charity Trust (NMTBSA), popularly known as the dabbawalas.

Descendant of Mahadu Havji Bacche, the first professional Dabbawalla in the city. Out of 5000 Dabbawalas, about 85% are illiterate and the remaining 15% are educated up to 8th grade. This way we are not well qualified to teach anyone or for that matter deliver any talk. In fact we need quality education. However by working for past 120 years will full dedication, time management, no strike gathering experience in logistics - Mumbai Dabbawalas have created as place of their own.

Mumbai's 5,000-odd dabbawalas have been in action for over 125 years now, without any work stoppages. They deliver nearly 2,00,000 lunches everyday and on time. Their unique management and operational models have become subjects of management study beyond text books for global business schools.

The dabbawalas have a Six Sigma quality certificate and a global business fan club that includes Prince Charles and Mr Richard Branson.



List of Speakers

Venue Location